MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police has endorsed a recommendation for a one-year extension of martial law in Mindanao to President Rodrigo Duterte, the acting head of the Local Government department said.
Undersecretary Catalino Cuy, acting secretary of the Department of the Interior and Local Government, confirmed the PNP’s recommendation in a text message to Philstar.com.
Cuy said “continuing threats of terrorist groups” in the region prompted the PNP to endorse the one-year extension.
Last month, President Rodrigo Duterte said the decision to extend martial law in Mindanao would be up to the PNP and the Armed Forces of the Philippines, since they will be deployed in conflict areas.
“We should give credence to it,” the president previously said.
Duterte placed Mindanao under martial law on May 23 in response to attacks by the Maute terror group in Marawi City, the capital of Lanao del Sur province. He said he issued Proclamation 216 to contain the violence in the region and neutralize local terrorist groups.
Congress did not hold a special session on the declaration on martial law but did to approve an extension of its validity until yearend.
Last October 17, Duterte declared the liberation of Marawi City from terrorists. Duterte said the declaration marks the beginning of rehabilitation of the war-torn city.